Planning Applications

Enter a postcode to find a planning application.

Use this service to search planning application records with the relevant local authority.

Apply for Planning Permission

To apply for planning permission, you will need to submit an application to your local council.

There are different kinds of planning applications that you can apply for - ‘full’ or ‘outline’ permission.

Outline planning permission is much less detailed and is useful to find out if a full application is likely to be accepted further down the line.

When outline planning permission is approved, you’ll need to agree specific details at a later date with a full application.

Viewing Planning Applications

When development work requires planning permission, an application should be submitted to the local council.

All planning applications are published on the councils website, along with any enforcement action notices.

You can view the details of any proposed plans online and submit a comment or objection using the councils online service.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need planning permission?

Planning permission may be required for any development work. Development work includes structural alterations, extensions, demolition or other significant work.

If you’re unsure, it’s usually best to contact your local council with details of the proposed work. They can offer informal advice for a small fee that will confirm if you do need to submit a full planning application before starting work.

Even if planning permission is not needed, you may still need to get building regulations approval for any work.

How long does it take to get planning permission?

Planning applications are usually processed in around eight weeks unless they are particularly complex.

The local planning authority will consider how any development work will affect the surrounding area, along with other factors such as infrastructure and the visual appearance of other nearby buildings.

How much does it cost to get planning permission?

The cost of submitting a planning application will vary depending on the scope of the work and type of application being submitted.

You can get a calculation from the local council which includes a breakdown of the costs involved in submitting an application.

What happens if I don’t get planning permission?

If you start work which requires planning permission without approval, then you will need to complete an application for retrospective planning permission.

If your retrospective application is successful, then you won’t need to do anything else.

If the application is declined, then you could potentially be issued an enforcement notice and may be required to reverse any work that has been completed.

How do I object to a proposed development?

You can submit an objection to a planning application by post, email or online.

Valid reasons for an objection may include things like adverse impact on the local area, privacy concerns, potential issues with drainage and services or road safety.

Some reasons are not normally considered for example, loss of a view.

What is permitted development?

Permitted development allows owners of many properties to complete specific development work without the need for a full planning application.

Many extensions, loft conversions and other projects can be completed without planning permissions, providing they meet specific criteria.

Some properties don’t have permitted development rights, so it’s worth checking with your local council before starting work to ensure a full application is not required.

How do I appeal a planning enforcement notice?

The owner of a property can appeal an enforcement notice online or by post.

To appeal an enforcement notice, you will need to provide evidence that the development is acceptable, not in breach of planning rules, or can no longer be enforced.

It may be worth getting independent advice on appealing any notice as some companies may have more experience in dealing with enforcement notices.