Challenge Your Council Tax Band

Enter your postcode to get information about properties in your area.

You can use this service to check details for similar homes in your street which can be used to challenge your council tax band.

How to challenge your council tax band

You can challenge your council tax band if you think you are paying too much by providing information to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

Council tax bands are based on how much your property was worth in 1991 (2003 for homes in Wales).

The are specific circumstances that will allow you to challenge your council tax band, for example:

  • If you’ve made significant changes to your property
  • If the property is now used for a different purpose, e.g. business use
  • There has been a change in the surrounding area, e.g. new construction nearby
  • You’ve been paying council tax in the property for less than 6 months

If none of these conditions are met, you’ll still be able to challenge your band if you’ve got enough evidence to show that you are in the wrong band. You’ll need to find similar properties in your area that are the same in age, style, size and type.

If you’re able to find a number of properties in a lower council tax band, you can submit the details of these as evidence that you are paying too much.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I challenge my council tax band?

To submit a challenge, you’ll need to collect evidence of similar properties that are in lower council tax bands.

You can submit up to 5 properties as evidence, so it’s best to provide as much information as possible to the VOA.

You can start a challenge online or contact the Valuation Office Agency directly.

What evidence can I use to challenge my council tax band?

You can use similar properties or previous sales prices as evidence to argue that you are paying too much council tax.

You’ll need to find nearby properties that are the same size, age, style and type as yours, that are also in a lower council tax band.

Alternatively, you can use historical house sale prices to prove that you’re paying to much. This must be from actual sales, so you won’t be able to use information from property sites or estate agents.

Will I get a refund if my council tax band is successfully challenged?

If you’re able to successfully dispute your council tax band, you’ll then start to pay the new lower rate of council tax each year.

You’ll also be eligible for a repayment of any overpaid council tax and get a refund of the difference between what you’ve been paying and the correct council tax amount for the time that you’ve lived in the property. This could go back years and result in thousands of pounds in refunds.

Which properties can I use for comparison when disputing my council tax band?

If you live in a built up area, you’ll usually need to submit properties in your street as evidence.

For properties in rural areas, you can use homes located slightly further away in your village.

If you’re unsure, it’s worth speaking to the VOA directly, as they may be able to provide more information depending on the specific location of your property.

How do I dispute my council tax band on a new build?

If you live in a property that was built more recently, it will be difficult to show what the home would have been worth in 1991. In this case it may be easier to find similar properties in your area which are already in lower council tax bands.

You can also contact the VOA directly for more information on the evidence required.

Can my council tax band be increased if I dispute it?

When you submit a challenge, your home will be reassessed. This also means there is a possibility that your band could be increased, so it’s important to look at similar properties carefully before opening a challenge.

It could be the case that a similar property is actually in a band that’s too low. If you’ve added value to your home, for example by building an extension, this could also result in your band being increased.